Monday, August 12, 2013

Harvest Monday - August 12, 2013

I have lots of harvest this week and therefore lots of pictures!!  First harvest of tomatoes this week, including a couple mature green ones that my kid pulled off along with red ones:)  I finally harvested two of my three pots of potatoes.  First one was regular sized red and Yukon gold potatoes about 15 or so, then the second pot was fingerlings.  Since I was running out of space to plant them and they were all sprouting, I planted EVERYTHING in one pot and the result.....well see for yourselves -

Tiny Fingerlings potatoes
 
For comparison- on the left is a regular Yukon gold potato
 
Red and Yukon gold potatoes
 
Harvest Basket!!
This is the spread from the basket above - large mild peppers, chili peppers, bush beans, cukes, cabbage
 
Zucchini, beets
 
Chioggia beets shredded
 
Chioggia beets(pink stripes) and golden beets (below)
 
Zucchini, cukes and cabbage
 
Harvest Basket!!
 
Spread from the basket above - Banana peppers sweet, chili peppers, bush beans, long beans, cukes, yellow squash, tomatoes, two mature burgundy seed pods(for next year)
 
For all other harvests around the world, visit Daphne's Dandelions!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Wow! You had a great week!

    I had a bunch of those tiny potatoes. Mine weren't fingerling, they were baby reds, but I just scrubbed them, tossed them with a bit of olive oil and put them in the crockpot. When they were tender, we just cut them in half and dipped them in melted butter or sour cream, and they were delicious. No mess, no fuss, no peeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Granny! I was thinking of saving these tiny ones for replanting next year!

      Delete
  2. Try tossing the fingerling potatoes in a tiny bit of oil, salt and pepper crushed garlic and lots of rosemary then grill low and slow, they will be delicious! The rosemary will crisp up and become a very lovely treat!
    We have rarely eaten potatoes this year as we didn't plant them because last years experiment failed.

    Last week we were visiting friends and they had a crop share with a big bag of fingerling potatoes. I made them this way and everyone loved them. We thought we would have many left over to make a hash for breakfast but we ate them all for dinner!!

    http://liveintheyard.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! That sounds delicious! I may try them for half a batch and save the rest for replanting next year! Ofcourse, if we go to Farmers market, we could buy more :)

      Delete
  3. You've got some really great looking veg. I'm impressed with the cabbage as they're hard to grow and difficult to look as good as yours. Mine are generally half eaten by pests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very proud of my 3 cabbages this year and have one red and some broccoli under the net. I usually lose them to caterpillars, but this year have them under netting(Granny's idea!)

      Delete
  4. Great harvest! Fingerlings never get big so that's a normal harvest you got there. Peppers look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, last year my fingerlings were quite big and I had a really nice harvest, so this year, in the picture you can't really make out, but they're teensy tiny potatoes, maybe keeping a dime next to them would have helped the comparison better :) Most of them are dime sized ! lol! But they sure are cute :)

      Delete
  5. Nice harvests. At least with potatoes you can eat the little ones whole and don't have to peel them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they're too tiny to peel off. I may use the slightly larger ones and leave the dime sized ones for replanting next year!

      Delete
  6. So many great harvests! The potatoes are the star, though, in my opinion! I am very hopeful about our potatoes this year and have my fingers crossed! All of your little fingerlings are considerably more than we got last year in total!

    ReplyDelete